Using DFP to Serve Sovrn Ads

Are there any tips on how we should target Sovrn tags in DFP, specifically:

• Geo targeting
  • Device/Browser targeting
  • Frequency capping

In Meridian, I don’t see a breakdown by geo, only by US and “Other”. Is there any data or report that I can pull to show performance by geo? I was thinking that if the CPM or fill rate differs significantly by region, then it would make sense to create separate line items by geo in DFP rather than than a blanket line item that covers everything. Same applies to browser or device.

Finally, should the Sovrn tags be f-capped and if so, at what number? Is it more of test-and-see approach dependent on the site? If that is the case, what metric would be most helpful to determine an f-cap? Fill rate or yield?

Thanks, not sure if my questions make sense…

Hi @flyingpigdogs,

First things first, great username.

I am going to answer your questions from the bottom up and base them on a standard waterfall setup. If you are working with something different, let me know.

Frequency capping was originally intended for direct and guaranteed line items to ensure that guaranteed and repetitive creatives were being properly distributed across a site’s readership. Exchange partners do not have this problem. With that said, playing around with frequency caps at the top of your stack can be a good way to grab at the highest possible CPM’s for your best and most unique traffic. I wish I had a perfect number for you but, unfortunately, it differs from publisher to publisher and page to page so experimenting is key. The easiest metric that I would suggest focusing on here is the eCPM and overall yield per partner and ad unit. These metrics will change depending on location within the stack and price floors but testing them against each other will help to get a better understanding of bid distribution. If you do decide to frequency cap at the top, I would suggest implementing secondary tags of the same partner further down the stack to test performance at that mid-quality inventory as well. Be careful with the number of partners that you are working with in this kind of situation to avoid latency and discrepancy issues. Also, if you see that your extra efforts are not producing higher revenue, it might be best to abandon the trial.

At the moment, meridian only breaks out traffic geo by US and all international (other). If you have a large amount of international traffic, specifically if that traffic is concentrated to a specific region, I would suggest breaking out your tags and line items to specifically target those geos. Breaking out your tags by device and geo also provides you with more granular reporting metrics and yield control. The important balance here is between the complexity of your setup and the impact that more and more granular geo-targeting will have on revenue.

Hopefully, my above comments also touch on your original targeting question but, if not, don’t hesitate to reach back out! We would also love to hear how your experiments with frequency capping works for you and the trade-offs that you see, if any, between a more granular targeting approach and an increasingly complicated set up.

Thank you very much for that detailed response!

My main reason for asking this question is that I often struggle with fill rate. I’m not sure what is an acceptable fill rate (though I do imagine it would depend on the niche, the quality of traffic and the ad unit among other factors) but I’m always trying to tinker around and find a way to maximize that fill.

Over the course of the last couple of years, I have found that when using Google is filling in remnant inventory that is passed back because a partner doesn’t fill that impression, it is a very low rate. But the impressions that Google decides to fill via competition and dynamic allocation is higher.

Perhaps I am misunderstood or reading too much into it, but my thinking was that I should try to minimize pass backs, especially to Google, in order to get the very best value for each impression. I guess header bidding is probably meant to alleviate that to some regard, which is a whole another thread. :slight_smile: