Did You Miss: Next Steps with Net Neutrality, Tracking Wall, TAG, Redirects, SEO and Whitelisting

As widely predicted, today (Dec. 14) the FCC voted to end support for net neutrality. But the fight to save net neutrality continues onward, with a strategy outlined on the website Battle for the Net.

If you’re still curious what the fuss is all about, the BBC produced a great video that outlines the argument over net neutrality and how these changes may affect you.

Note that Sovrn fully supports net neutrality, because the alternative, writes CEO Walter Knapp, is that “money and influence will become more important than quality, expertise, and a passion for producing unique, innovative and inspiring content.”

Your new ad-tech phrase of the day: Tracking Wall, as explained by Digiday. Here’s an example on a Dutch website of how it could work (look at the options for users at the bottom).

Is your ‘risky’ content impacting your overall revenue? Probably. See the impact that brand safety solutions used by buyers can have on your content.

Buyer Update: A recent study found being certified by TAG (Trust Accountability Group) can significantly reduce fraud. In case you’re wondering, Sovrn is certified in all four TAG programs.

Redirects impact everyone. Learn why the problem is so pervasive.

Google made a change in November that will impact SEO. Watch this Moz video to learn why.

Sovrn user alenhoff brought up concerns about whitelisting back in March, asking: “What does this mean for small publishers that aren’t big enough to get on the whitelist?” In light of this recent ExchangeWire article, whitelisting it’s still an issue — one that can affect buyers as well as publishers. What do you think?

Missing anything? Let us know!

If you are having publishing issues, please email our support team: publishersupport@sovrn.com.

Thanks for sharing the resources on net neutrality, Rob. I’ve been curious about how net neutrality regulations will effect businesses and individuals outside of the US.

I found the article on risky content interesting as well. I’m wondering how content gets flagged as ‘risky’ - has anyone had experience with ads revenue changing after releasing something ‘risky’?